Thursday, October 17, 2013

Visiting Artist Critique

So I got to experience my first artist critique with a complete stranger yesterday and it was not my favorite. If you are in any way familiar with the series that I have been blogging about so much then hopefully you would know some general idea of what I am doing and how important both aspects of the title and the piece are!
We were told to not be defensive and work on our listening skills and that is exactly what I did but I was a bit upset and annoyed that the person didn't really take the time to actually read any of the titles, he just skimmed over a few of them and made a bunch of suggestions that I didn't feel like fit what I was trying to do. It was a bit of a wasted critique I think because since he didn't bother to take the time to read the titles he didn't understand and so none of his comments were really on the mark or things that I wanted to change. His impression was that I am trying to create some experience for people through their senses but really, I am trying to educate viewers. I don't know, maybe it was the time constraint or the maybe I didn't articulate myself as well as I could have (but I am usually really good at doing so) that he didn't get it. But yeah. If I have another critique again I hope it goes a lot better than it did yesterday......

No comments:

Post a Comment