Monday, December 5, 2011

Those Russian Folks

Recently I've become closer friends with fellow art student who introduced me to her favorite artist. He is a famous Russian painter and he paints using oil paints and a palette knife. His name is Leonid Afremov.
I find his works interesting, but also somewhat repetitious. Normally, I would be the kind of person to love bright colors and pretty scenery but I feel like there is something missing from the overall look of his artwork. I think of rainbow art when I see his work but I thought it would be cool to blog about him.



Many of his street scenes and landscapes involve studies of light and reflections in water. Additionally he has a lot of paintings of people with umbrellas. Although the landscape may be more dominate than the person in it, they usually are holding umbrellas. I tried to find out what the umbrellas might have meant to him but I didn't find anything.

He also does some interesting works on dancers and musicians.....check him out sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment